Sunday 18 October 2009

Studio... Gone!

Hey, bloggy people. Sorry for the radio silence - thought I had swine flu, but ended up with a mental tummy bug instead. Either way, I've been knocked out since mid-last week so I'll attempt to get you up to speed in this post.

The old studio is finally no more. Yesterday, I put the 'spare' kit in storage and this morning I took apart the benching. It is now a bare room again... *sniff*

The project studio has made a few advances. First off, I got hold of an 18" LCD monitor so I'm back to having the amount of desktop real-estate I crave. Next, I found a product called ipMIDI, which is a very quick and easy way of adding an ethernet MIDI connection between computers. Now I can have my PC running Cubase, whilst my Mac runs some of the more powerful VSTs (like QLSO, for example) and all I need to do is plug a standard network crossover cable between them. Brilliant!

I've also added an E-MU 0202 soundcard that I had lying around for the Mac to use. This way I don't have to worry about using any of the stuff that's 'reserved' for live use and the 0202 can stay plugged into the mixer. Finally, I've re-arranged things a bit so there's more room for my external hard disks, etc.

So that's as much work as I'm planning on doing on the studio for the moment. Everything is working nicely now and I can certainly get on with everything I need to. The only thing I'm missing is some decent headphones. For now, I'm working exclusively on headphones, so I need something that's comfortable, light, flat EQ and not bank-breaking. I always used to use a set of Fostex T7's, but they've blown in one ear, so everything bassy is accompanied by a grizzly noise in my right lughole. Any recommendations greatly appreciated. I don't really want to spend more than about £50...

There's a few more things to talk about, but I reckon they're all worth their own posts, so from the 'studio move' posts, this is it!

No comments:

Post a Comment