Friday 9 October 2009

iPod selection dilemmas

Now that I've moved closer to my day job, my walk to work only takes me 15 minutes. Before, my walk was around 45-50 minutes.

This is mostly great, of course, but the one problem I've found is that it's even harder to pick something to listen to on the way to work now. Before, I could pretty much get through an album on my journey - now I only get 3 or 4 songs!

Since this new problem has arisen, I've been panic-choosing. After all, if I take 5 minutes to choose the first track I want to listen to, that's a whole third of my potential listening time gone! For example, yesterday morning I listened to Soulwax's Conversation Intercom, followed by Kielbasa Sausage by Tenacious D, then Geek USA by Smashing Pumpkins. None of these were tracks I desperately wanted to listen to - in fact the only relation between the songs, and the eagle-eyed of you might have already spotted this, is the artists' names close proximity to each other in the alphabet (song ends, quick scroll through artists, panic again, play).

This morning, however, I knew straight away what I wanted to listen to and put on the Pixies greatest hits collection Death To The Pixies. It took me a while to realise why I'd chosen this album, but it would appear that subliminal forces were at work: I noticed Gigantic somewhere in the background on the telly last night, yesterday I read a review of The Pixies gig at the O2, and our label-mates Relation have just made available a download of their reworking of Here Comes Your Man.

So there we have it - maybe I just need to be more easily influenced by the subtle signs around me throughout the day. Or maybe I just need to be a little more decisive...

No comments:

Post a Comment