Monday 12 October 2009

Saturday's gig and more studio packing

Great gig on Saturday. Unfortunately Kay was ill, so we had to switch to our emergency four-piece set list. Didn't seem to matter too much (though Ever So Gently was a bit ropey), and we had some good feedback from the crowd.

The Lexington was a nice surprise - a big, wide stage for a change and a huge sound system! Also, and probably most importantly, we had a sound engineer who really knew his stuff, ran a tight soundcheck and gave us great sound both on and off stage. I didn't catch his name, but I did make a point of thanking him after the show...

We spent quite a while in the green room chatting to the band that were on before us, Sleeping With Antares. I really enjoyed their set - yet more proof of the good sound engineering - which had me reminiscing in parts of the wall-of-noise sounds of bands from the early nineties like My Bloody Valentine and Ride at their most shoegazey, but with some distinctly modern riffs and strong vocals. Nice guys to boot, so good luck to them. They've recently launched their eponymous EP, which they gave me a copy of, so check them out if you get a chance!


On the studio front, I've decided to lend Andy some of the stuff out of the old studio, since it seems to make more sense than putting it in storage. Plus, he has a dearth of usable sounds in his project set-up. He's taken the Novation A-Station, my beloved JV-1080 and my Alesis Monitors (no room for monitors in my new set-up - am I going to have to write everything on headphones?). I offered him my small mixer as well, but he doesn't have room. I'm thinking I should probably hold on to that for the moment anyway, but I don't know where the hell I'm going to put it either!

Anyway, tonight I'll be setting up my project studio so I will post tomorrow with a report, maybe some photos and also (no doubt) a shopping list of things I'm going to need!

No comments:

Post a Comment