Friday 8 January 2010

Ableton Live Suite 8! Woop!

So I managed to justify the cost. Sort of. To myself (and my credit card) at least...

Thanks to Ableton's 10-year anniversary 20% off sale, I am now the proud owner of Ableton Live Suite 8. Just finished downloading all 1.5+GB of it and am now decidedly excited about getting home and putting it on my Mac. Woo-hoo!

I mentioned in my last post that I was thinking of upgrading. I'd been thinking about it for a while, since I was still running version 6 on stage, and I don't like being too far behind the times. Also, now our main Cubase-running studio PC is not in my project studio, I wanted to embrace a new way of working in a new environment, rather than just using something else to do the same job (same plugins, same workflows, etc.). Live Suite seemed to be the sensible way forward, and I can still run my old favourite VSTs if necessary through Ableton.


So I'm a happy bunny, and I'm also looking forward to seeing if a new software environment will change the way I've been writing recently. A lot of the ideas that came out of my project set-up were too big, too loud, too tired. I was writing on autopilot: make beat, add layer, add usual compression with usual settings, send to group, add usual saturation plugins, add more layers, add usual reverb, etc...

I'll keep you posted - maybe I'll even post some snippets of the ideas that come out of my first writing sessions with Ableton. Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment